For the beauty of the skies.
For the love which from our birth
Over and around us lies,
For the beauty of each hour
Of the day and of the night,
Hill and vale, and tree and flow'r
Sun and Moon, and stars of light,
Lord of all, to thee we raise
This our hymn of grateful praise.
(For the Beauty of the Earth, text Folliott S. Pierpoint)
I don't think this trip is really the kind needing a travel log. We split our time between Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor, Maine and Prince Edward Island in Canada. The goal was to see lighthouses, the ocean, and Green Gables. All of which were accomplished. I went with a friend from my ward. I met her visiting teaching ( visiting teaching really does work!)
On one hike in Acadia we did have a little adventure. As we were hiking on a very beautiful trail and enjoying its beauty, we all of the sudden heard a loud, but low growl and the leaves all around that area rustled and blew. All I could see was a fairly large shadow of an animal. We quickly turned around and walked back the other way so I am not sure what it was, but when I looked up what animals were in the Park it seemed that the options were mostly likely a black bear or a fox. Because of the size I am thinking a black bear. Closest encounter I have ever had. I was certainly thankful that all we heard was its growl.
On another day it had been raining, but we came across a trail I really wanted to go on. There were warnings that it was very steep and possibly dangerous, but I did not want that to stop me. However, my friend, Kathy, did not concur with my decision. I climbed up the first part and was trying desperatly to convince her it was safe and not slippery. Just as I was saying one more time that it was not slippery I slipped and went sliding down a good part of the rock. Needless to say I ended up wet, covered in green moss, and freezing. My friend just laughed. I guess I should have listened.
Enjoy the pictures. They really don't do it justice. For the first time in my life I wished I was like you Kassi and had a fancy camera and picture taking skills. I know your pictures would have actually caught some of it. But here is my sad, pathetic attempt. You will just have to be like Anne of Green Gables and let you imagination see it. : )
In the pooring rain, thinking of lighthouses, I felt like the movie Pete's Dragon We even sang songs from it!
In Acadia National park Cadillac Mtn is the first place the sun rises from Oct-Feb. Everyone was trying to take pictures. This is of course closer to sunset because it was always raining when it was sunrise. Oh well.
Our favorite tree.
Kathy just enjoying the beach the ocean.
I LOVE IT HERE!
Jamie- we ate so much delicious food. So I took some pictures for you!
We went to see lighthouses, but apparently you have to really plan that out. When we arrived in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island we were so excited to finally find a lighthouse..even though it was a freezing walk to get there!
![]() |
| Green Gables! We made it. |
![]() |
| Lover's Lane! This picture does not capture it. It was just as I had imagined it! |
![]() |
| "I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers!" -Anne of Green Gables |
![]() |
| The Haunted Woods...do I look scared? The trees really did creak! |
![]() |
| One of the few pictures we managed to get of Kathy and I. |
![]() |
| Just wondering where the school house is. |
![]() |
| The apple trees..but really look at the leaves! |
![]() |
| Cavendish Beach Honestly I think I could attempt and imagine like L.M Montgomery if I lived in a place like this. Just like Anne there are not words to describe the beauty! |
![]() |
| I wanted desperately to get in..but since I had to wait a long time to change I decided just to sit. : ) |
![]() |
| The only lighthouse we made it all the way too. It was in Bass Harbor. Yay! |
“I’m afraid to
speak or move for fear all this wonderful beauty will vanish just like a broken
silence.” ~ Anne of the Island by Lucy Maud Montgomery
|


















So much fun! And I love the way you told the story. And yummy food!
ReplyDelete